Sometimes it is very difficult to figure out how much antique furniture is worth. As you are trying to figure out the value, keep the following tips in mind:
- Make list of everything you know about your antique piece.
- This may include
- patent number
- the materials used, and other information. This will help you narrow down your search results.
- Assess the furniture’s condition. Condition is a major factor in determining value.
- Is the furniture in it’s original condition or has it been refinished or had changes made such as hardware.
- Is your furniture in good shape, or will it require restoration? This will place your piece within a price range.
- Look up your furniture using several different tools such as the internet and local bookstore or library. You may find that you receive different values from various sources.
- Is the piece desirable and selling. Some pieces change value based on what trends and decorating trends currently are.
- Check local antique stores to see if they carry a similar item or they may be able to help you with the valuation.
- If in doubt, have your furniture appraised by a certified professional. This is especially important if you’ll be using your furniture value for insurance purposes.
Good luck in finding out about your antique furniture. You may uncover a special piece that has a great historical story.